Earth Science News
AFRICA NEWS
Nigeria announces arrival of 100 US soldiers

Nigeria announces arrival of 100 US soldiers

by AFP Staff Writers
Lagos (AFP) Feb 16, 2026

Some 100 US soldiers are being deployed to Nigeria as part of increased military cooperation to fight insecurity in the West African country, the Nigerian defence ministry announced Monday.

The ministry did not specify when the "US military trainers" arrived or were due to arrive.

"The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) wishes to announce the arrival of about 100 United States military personnel and associated equipment at Bauchi Airfield," the statement said.

"The arrival is planned and deliberate following a formal request by the Federal Government of Nigeria to the US government to support a clearly defined military training requirement, technical support and intelligence sharing with the members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria."

Nigeria is facing a longstanding jihadist insurgency in the northeast, a conflict between farmers and herders in north-central regions, separatist violence in the southeast, and kidnappings for ransom in the northwest.

US President Donald Trump has claimed that Christians in Nigeria are being "persecuted" and are victims of "genocide" perpetrated by "terrorists".

But Abuja and most independent experts say the violence in Nigeria indiscriminately affects both Christians and Muslims.

On December 25, the US military conducted airstrikes in Nigeria's Sokoto State. Nigerian authorities subsequently said the action was coordinated with them and it targeted Islamic State jihadists.

For the announced deployment, Nigeria's DHQ said: "The US personnel are technical specialists serving strictly in an advisory and training capacity. They are not combat forces."

Drone attack on Sudan market kills 28: rights group
Khartoum (AFP) Feb 16, 2026 - A drone attack on a crowded market in central Sudan killed 28 people, a rights group reported Monday, as the army and its paramilitary rivals traded aerial strikes in their battle for territory.

The attack occurred in a paramilitary-controlled area in the far north of Sudan's Kordofan region, currently the fiercest frontline in the three-year-old war between the army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

According to the Emergency Lawyers, a group monitoring atrocities in the conflict, several drones hit the al-Safiya market outside the town of Sodari in North Kordofan on Sunday.

"The attack occurred when the market was bustling with civilians, including women, children and the elderly," the group said, adding that the toll was preliminary.

It gave no indication of who carried out the strike.

Sodari, a remote town where desert trade routes cross, is around 230 kilometres (132 miles) northwest of El-Obeid, the state capital of North Kordofan, which the RSF has been trying to encircle for months.

The Kordofan region has seen a surge in deadly drone attacks as both sides fight over the country's vital east-west axis, which links the western RSF-held region of Darfur, through El-Obeid, to the army-controlled capital Khartoum and the rest of Sudan.

Across vast stretches of territory, attacks by both sides -- many on remote towns and villages -- have killed up to dozens of civilians at a time.

Last Wednesday, two children were killed and a dozen wounded in one strike on a school, while another severely damaged a United Nations warehouse storing famine relief supplies.

After consolidating their hold on Darfur last year, the RSF has pushed east through oil- and gold-rich Kordofan, in an attempt to seize Sudan's central corridor.

Since April 2023, the war between the army and the RSF has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced around 11 million, creating the world's largest hunger and displacement crises.

It has also effectively split the country in two, with the army holding the centre, north and east while the RSF controls the west and, with their allies, parts of the south.

Related Links
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
AFRICA NEWS
Senegal Navy searches for three missing sailors
Dakar (AFP) Feb 13, 2026
Senegal's Navy launched a massive search effort for three sailors missing after their patrol boat capsized in inclement weather. The military said on Thursday night that it had recovered "10 survivors" and retrieved the remnants of the boat. According to a statement from the armed forces' public relations office, the "patrol boat capsized at the mouth of the Senegal River (north) this morning around 9 am. Three sailors are missing". The vessel "was on a liaison mission and is believed to ha ... read more

AFRICA NEWS
Struggling farmers find hope in India co-operative

Coffee regions hit by extra days of extreme heat: scientists

'Make America Healthy' movement takes on Big Ag, in break with Republicans

EU says Chinese levies on dairy products are 'unjustified'

AFRICA NEWS
Japan's 'godless' lake warns of creeping climate change

Southern Indian Ocean waters lose salt as climate shifts currents

Artificial wetlands help clean runoff and support circular agriculture

Eternal City eternally damp as Rome suffers record rainfall; Calabria again under water

AFRICA NEWS
Climate activist group files second lawsuit against Sweden

Mumbai to host Prince William's 2026 Earthshot prize

ECB fines French bank for climate risk failures

'Climate cult' hurts Europe's economy, US energy secretary tells AFP

AFRICA NEWS
Golden bridge tunnel junction design boosts all perovskite tandem solar cell efficiency

Study maps path to cleaner terawatt scale solar manufacturing

Next generation solar manufacturing pathway could avoid massive CO2 output

Hydrogen bond design advances solar water oxidation efficiency

AFRICA NEWS
Neem seed biochar turns waste into thermal energy storage medium

Salt solvent unlocks lignin for next generation biofuel plants

Pilot plant in Mannheim delivers tailored climate friendly fuel blends

Garden and farm waste targeted as feedstock for new bioplastics

AFRICA NEWS
Huge pit visible in Shanghai after viral sinkhole video

Morocco to spend $330 million on regions ravaged by floods: govt

Mexican navy ships arrive with humanitarian aid for Cuba

Lebanon says 5 dead in building collapse in northern city

AFRICA NEWS
US forces board ship in Indian Ocean that fled Caribbean blockade: Pentagon

Iran, Russia to conduct joint drills in the Sea of Oman

Oil in spotlight as Trump's Iran warning rattles sleepy markets

Brazil eyes fossil fuel roadmap 'that unites'

AFRICA NEWS
France and India hail growing ties as Modi hosts Macron

China confirms visa-free access for Canada, UK visitors from Feb 17

China FM tells EU diplomats not to blame Beijing for bloc's problems

WTO chief urges China to shift on trade surplus

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.