by Staff Writers
Kano, Nigeria (AFP) June 22, 2014
A suicide bomber on Sunday rammed his car into a military checkpoint in northeast Nigeria's Borno state near the border with Cameroon killing three soldiers in an attack blamed on Boko Haram Islamists, residents said.
Three other soldiers were also injured in the early morning attack in Gwoza town, a resident, Dahiru Yunusa, told AFP.
"It was a suicide attack by a man believed to be a Boko Haram (member) who drove his car into the checkpoint and killed three soldiers," Yunusa said. "The huge blast which was heard throughout the town."
The attack in Gwoza, 100 kilometres (60 miles) from state capital Maiduguri, happened when the bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into the checkpoint outside a secondary school in the town that has come under repeated attack by the insurgents, leaving dozens dead.
It occurred around 7:00 am (0600 GMT) but the news of the incident took several hours to emerge due to the area's poor telephone network following the destruction of telecom masts in previous Boko Haram attacks.
Musa Buzu, another resident who gave a similar account, said the military cordoned off the scene of the blast until 4:00 pm.
Residents thronged the scene to look at the mangled remains of the car used by the suicide bomber, Buzu said.
"The town was still asleep when the suicide bomber attacked the checkpoint with a deafening explosion that awoke the whole town," he said.
Military spokesmen were not available to comment on the attack.
Last month, the traditional monarch of Gwoza, Idrissa Timta, was killed when Boko Haram gunmen ambushed the convoy of three emirs on their way to the funeral of another influential emir.
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|