Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
by Staff Writers
Addis Ababa (AFP) Feb 18, 2014
Peace talks between Sudan and South Kordofan rebels adjourned Tuesday until the end of the month, after failing to progress on key issues since negotiations kicked off last week.
"We should adjourn this present session of the negotiations to give the possibility to the parties to have consultations with their principles," said Thabo Mbeki, chief mediator of the African Union-led talks.
The talks between Khartoum and rebels are aimed at ending three years of fighting in Blue Nile and Kordofan that has affected over one million people.
Mbeki said the teams would consult on "proposals" from the mediation team, but did not elaborate.
"We should then reconvene in about 10 days," he added, speaking in an upscale hotel in Addis Ababa where the talks kicked off on February 12.
The two sides failed to meet face-to-face in the latest round of talks -- the first in nearly a year -- and instead traded accusations, dampening the mood of the negotiations.
On Monday, the head of the rebel team told AFP the talks were at a "deadlock" and blamed Khartoum of wanting to continue the fighting.
But the government denied they were at loggerheads and instead vowed to press ahead with the peace process.
The government has insisted the talks should focus on security, political and humanitarian aspects as one package, while the rebels have said humanitarian issues should be addressed first.
The United Nations has called for an urgent ceasefire and has called on both side to allow for critical humanitarian access.
Talks are expected to resume on February 28.
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|