. Africa News .

Nigerian college says massacre not linked to campus vote
by Staff Writers
Mubi, Nigeria (AFP) Oct 04, 2012

Nigerian president names new defence chief
Abuja (AFP) Oct 04, 2012 - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced Thursday he had appointed a new chief of defence staff as the country faces a deadly insurgency by Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.

No reason was given for replacing existing chief of defence staff Oluseyi Petinrin in a presidency statement, though defence spokesman Yerima Mohammed said he had reached the end of his term.

The new defence chief was named as Vice Admiral O.S. Ibrahim, who had been chief of naval staff. New naval and air chiefs were also named, while Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General O.A. Ihejirika is to remain in his post.

Jonathan "has approved the following appointments in the armed forces," the presidency statement said before listing the names.

Boko Haram's insurgency has been blamed for more than 1,400 deaths since 2010 in central and northern Nigeria.

A massacre earlier this week in a student housing area of the northeastern town of Mubi that left at least 40 people dead has also stirred outrage in Nigeria, but there was no sign the defence appointments were linked.

Officials from a Nigerian college near the site of a massacre that left at least 40 people dead this week dismissed reports Thursday that the killings were linked to tensions over a campus vote.

However, claims persisted among residents in the town of Mubi in northeastern Nigeria that the massacre, which saw victims shot or have their throats slit, was somehow linked to student politics.

Suspicions have also fallen on Islamist extremist group Boko Haram, which has carried out scores of attacks in Nigeria's northeast and was the target of a high-profile military raid last week in Mubi.

Nigerian police said they had made many arrests over the massacre, but offered no clues for what prompted it as questions mounted.

"I have no evidence to link it to the election," said Shuaib Aroke, deputy registrar at Federal Polytechnic Mubi, where some of those killed in the massacre overnight Monday to Tuesday were enrolled.

"It is a fallacy," he told AFP of a link to the vote being suggested by some Nigerian authorities. "We are united here at polytechnic," added Aroke, who said he is currently in charge of security on campus.

He however said he had no information on who was behind the killings.

The school's dean of student affairs, Ahmed Baba Karewal, made similar comments, saying claims that the violence was linked to the election do "not correlate at all."

Residents of the area where the massacre occurred described hearing gunshots overnight Monday to Tuesday, before gunmen descended on the area.

"They killed my neighbour Sylvanus," one 27-year-old resident said. "I heard when they kept shouting the name -- 'Sylvanus! Sylvanus!' When he answered and came out, they shot him dead."

In the student vote, there were suggestions of ethnic or regional tensions in a country split between a mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south. A spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency has said some of the victims were candidates.

Aroke however said the election went off peacefully and all candidates signed the results sheet.

Police in northeastern Adamawa state, where Mubi is located, said they had arrested "many suspects" in connection with the slaughter, but have declined to provide further details.

Another school official, who requested anonymity, said most of those being held were students. He also said the death toll was at least 40.

Police have given an official death toll of 25, saying at least 22 victims were students, with 19 from the polytechnic and three from another school.

On Wednesday, security forces had gone house to house and blanketed Mubi, a commercial hub and university town located near the border with Cameroon.

Security deployments appeared less intense on Thursday, though there were checkpoints along the road from the state capital Yola to the town and a large deployment of soldiers could be seen after the 3:00 pm to 6:00 am curfew began.

The killings occurred in a student housing area off-campus of Federal Polytechnic Mubi, an ethnically mixed school with several thousand students.

Residents said it seemed the victims were both Muslims and Christians, but police had not commented, as is often the case in Nigeria, where ethnic and religious divisions regularly lead to unrest.

The suggestion that the killings were linked to the student election raised questions over how and why the dispute would have turned so violent.

At the same time, Boko Haram has continually widened its targets and its attacks have become increasingly sophisticated.

Nigerian officials have been seeking to show success in the fight against the extremists with a number of raids and arrests. There had been a lull in major attacks in recent weeks.

The group has been blamed for more than 1,400 deaths since 2010 as part of its insurgency in northern and central Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer.

Boko Haram has claimed to be seeking an Islamic state in northern Nigeria, but its demands have repeatedly shifted and it is believed to include a number of factions with varying aims.

Imitators and criminal gangs are also believed to have carried out violence under the guise of the group.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced Thursday he had named a new chief of defence staff. There was however no indication it was linked to the massacre.

Related Links
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food

Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

Poor but at peace, Mozambique marks 20 years since civil war
Maputo (AFP) Oct 04, 2012 - Marking two decades since the end of a debilitating civil war, Mozambique's president on Thursday said the country must now focus on exploiting its vast resource wealth for the good of everyone.

"Today we still have a very large budget deficit and we still face problems exploiting the resources we have," said President Armando Guebuza during official celebrations to mark the signing of a peace agreement that ended a brutal 16-year civil war.

"We have peace. There is no alternative to peace," he said 20 years after a UN-backed peace accord was penned, signalling the end of a Cold War-fuelled conflict that pitted the Marxist-leaning Frelimo party against Renamo rebels.

The country and government's task now, he said, is "to exploit the wealth we have and ensure that all the people benefit from it".

Mozambique has recently discovered a huge reserve of gas, as much as 100 trillion cubic feet, making it a major energy player and offering hope of prosperity to come.

The war broke out in 1976 just a year after the southern African country had gained independence from Portugal, only to end after a million lives were lost.

It was waged by the Mozambique National Resistance (Renamo), bank-rolled by white minority governments in neighbouring South Africa and what was then Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.

By the time the war ended, resource-rich Mozambique was ranked among the most impoverished countries on earth.

"So as we celebrate 20 years of the peace accord we should think when possibilities of safe growth arise, this development should be reflected in the whole country and for all Mozambicans," said Guebuza after laying a wreath at the heroes monument.

The official celebrations were held a few blocks from where tens of thousands of people displaced by the conflict, still live in tin shacks. Many of them live on as little as $1 a day.

New gas and coal finds have seen post-war Mozambique turning into a favourite investment destination and one of the fastest growing economies in the world, but the growth is yet to trickle to the majority of the country's 23.4 million people.

The top 10 percent of the population has an income 19 times that of the poorest 10 percent, according to the Africa Progress Panel, an observer group led by former UN secretary general Kofi Annan.


. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Poor but at peace, Mozambique marks 20 years since civil war
Maputo (AFP) Oct 04, 2012
Marking two decades since the end of a debilitating civil war, Mozambique's president on Thursday said the country must now focus on exploiting its vast resource wealth for the good of everyone. "Today we still have a very large budget deficit and we still face problems exploiting the resources we have," said President Armando Guebuza during official celebrations to mark the signing of a pea ... read more

New technologies advance livestock genomics for agricultural and biomedical uses

Superweeds linked to rising herbicide use in GM crops

Too Little Nitrogen May Restrain Carbon Storage Capability Of Plants

Tadpole Shrimp a New Rice Pest in the Midsouth

The chemical memory of seawater

Australia scientists tackle reef-killing starfish

Sea-level study shows signs of things to come

Study: Wetlands drove birth of cities

Climate: Scepticism highest in US, Britain - poll

Humans added plenty greenhouse gases before industrialisation

Salt marsh carbon may play role in slowing climate warming

Extreme climate change linked to early animal evolution

Money: A New (Decentralized) Shade of Green

Energy New Front in Economic Warfare

Ireland Unlikely To Meet EU Energy Targets

French supermarket takes to water to cut carbon footprint

Turd-eating worms clear air around Canadian toilets

Biorefining: The new green wave

Napiergrass: A Potential Biofuel Crop for the Sunny Southeast

Most biofuels are not green

All 18 children confirmed dead in China landslide

S. Korea labels chemical leak area 'disaster' zone

All 18 children confirmed dead in China landslide

Hong Kong mourns victims of boat tragedy

Council of war gathers for world's biodiversity crisis

S. Korean villagers evacuate after toxic leak

Mobiles phones getting less toxic: researcher

Remarkable enzyme points the way to reducing nitric acid use in industry

Argentine retailers told to cut prices

Japan insurers stop China riot coverage: report

China auction house holds first sale in Hong Kong

EU unveils measures to combat biopiracy

Memory Foam Mattress Review

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement