by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Oct 22, 2012
China said Monday it had lodged a diplomatic protest over the fatal shooting of a Chinese worker in Nigeria and demanded that the African nation take "concrete measures" to better protect its nationals.
Gunmen shot dead the Chinese construction worker in the violence-torn city of Maiduguri on Friday last week, the second killing of a Chinese national in the region this month.
"China's foreign ministry pays high attention to this (incident)," ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters.
The Chinese embassy in Nigeria immediately submitted a formal protest and "demanded that Nigeria take concrete measures to ensure the safety of Chinese nationals and institutions in the country," he said.
A Nigerian official confirmed last week that the Chinese worker was shot dead by unidentified gunmen at a construction site in the northeastern Borno state, which has been hit hard by the radical Islamist group Boko Haram.
On October 7, gunmen killed a Chinese national who was working for a construction company in the town of Gubio, near Maiduguri.
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|