by Staff Writers
Conakry (AFP) Nov 10, 2017
Guinean judges have completed an investigation into a massacre in which at least 157 opposition supporters were killed and 109 women raped by troops in a stadium in 2009, the justice ministry said in a statement Thursday.
In September 2009, a massive opposition protest in a stadium in Conakry against then junta chief Moussa Dadis Camara's rule ended in bloodshed when his security forces opened fire on the crowd.
In a joint statement, human rights organisations and victims of the massacre said the three investigating judges had notified them Monday of "the end of the judicial investigation".
The Ministry of Justice said that the investigating judges had forwarded the file "to the public prosecutor at the Court of First Instance of Dixinn for final settlement", according to a statement.
In their statement, the NGOs and a group representing victims requested the 14 defendants be put on trial.
Camara, a former army officer, seized power in 2008 after the death of Guinea's longtime dictator Lansana Conte. Despite initial support he rankled the population when he broke a pledge not to run for president.
After surviving an assassination attempt in 2009, Camara fled the country and now lives in exile in Burkina Faso, where he was indicted in July 2015 by Guinean magistrates for his alleged involvement in the massacre.
His former aide-de-camp, Aboubakar Sidiki Diakite, known as Toumba Diakite, extradited from Senegal to Guinea in March 2017, is also one of the defendants.
President Alpha Conde became Guinea's first democratically elected president in 2010, taking over a nation run by a succession of strongmen following independence from France.
Niamey (AFP) Nov 7, 2017
The maiden mission of a counterterrorism force that aims to tackle jihadist groups in the troubled Sahel experienced "logistical problems" but they are not "insurmountable", according to the military's first appraisal of the operation. The G5 Sahel force - an initiative comprising Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger - last week began its first operation, dubbed Hawbi, with Frenc ... read more
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|