by Staff Writers
Kinshasa (AFP) Aug 29, 2017
The UN said Tuesday that soldiers "forced entry" into its base in the volatile Kasai region of DR Congo aiming to arrest a journalist critical of President Joseph Kabila.
Journalist Edouard Diye Tshitenge had been planning to present a manifesto on Monday demanding the removal of Kabila, who has refused to step down despite constitutional limits.
But the general who heads operations in the region, where some 3,000 people have been killed in a conflict since last year, banned the presentation for alleged security reasons.
The troops pursued Tshitenge to the facility in Kananga operated by MONUSCO, the UN peacekeeping mission in Democratic Republic of Congo, prompting strong UN condemnation.
"The United Nations is concerned about this very serious incident, especially because it took place under the command of a senior officer," MONUSCO said in a statement.
"A group of soldiers... forced entry into a MONUSCO base under the pretext of pursuing a journalist who had taken refuge there," the statement said.
A DR Congo government spokesman defended the soldiers' actions and disputed the UN's version of events.
"It was once inside that he showed his press pass. It is untrue to say that soldiers forced the MONUSCO gates," spokesman Lambert Mende told AFP, adding the soldiers did not enter the base.
MONUSCO said "the increasing harassment and threats targeted at journalists shows a restriction of the space of freedom of speech."
In Kasai, violence erupted last September after the death of a tribal chieftain, known as the Kamwina Nsapu, who rebelled against the authority of Kabila's regime in Kinshasa and its local representatives.
The killing sparked violence that has escalated, including alleged violations of human rights such as extrajudicial killings, rapes, torture and the use of child soldiers.
In office since he succeeded his murdered father in 2001 while war wracked the nation, Kabila failed to stand down last year at the end of his final elected constitutional term.
A deal was cut by the regime and a minority within the opposition to hold elections by the end of 2017.
Luanda (AFP) Aug 23, 2017
Angolans voted on Wednesday in an election marking the end of President Jose Eduardo dos Santos's 38-year reign, with his MPLA party set to retain power despite an economic crisis. The MPLA, which has ruled since Angola's independence from Portugal in 1975, is expected to defeat opposition parties stifled by Dos Santos's authoritarian regime. Dos Santos's unexpected retirement - reporte ... read more
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|